Friday, January 20, 2006

1943 Revisited Everyday

I supposedly know everything about this number, and I like to brag about that fact to my friends. Ask me anything, I say. So Joe does. He says, what was the best picture from 1943. I didn't know. Damn my bragging self. So in this post, I will remark on all the pop culture bests from everyone's favorite year. If you click on the links, you will be taken to Wikipedia for more information.

FILM
Academy Award for Best Picture: Casablanca
Academy Award for Best Actor: Paul Lukas - Watch on the Rhine
Academy Award for Best Actress: Jennifer Jones - The Song of Bernadette
Top Grossing Films: (1) For Whom the Bell Tolls (2) The Song of Bernadette (3) This is the Army

LITERATURE
Pulitzer Prize for the Novel: Upton Sinclair - Dragon's Teeth
Mentionable Books Written in 1943: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Betty Smith; Being and Nothingness - Jean-Paul Sartre; The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand; Gremlins - Roald Dahl; The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MUSIC
Academy Award for Best Song: "You'll Never Know" by Dick Haymes
"Oklahoma!" by Oscar Hammerstein II opens

TELEVISION
Debut: The Voice of Firestone Televues (1943-1947; renamed The Voice of Firestone, running from 1949 to 1963).
The American Broadcasting Company (ABC) is formed.

ART
Piet Mondrian's masterpiece, Broadway Boogie-Woogie was completed.




















ARCHITECTURE
The Thomas Jefferson Memorial in Washington D.C., United States is completed.
The Pentagon in Washington D.C., United States is completed.

SIDE NOTE
The book I am reading Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates by Tom Robbins in part circles around a Matisse painting entitled Blue Nude 1943.

1 comment:

Apage43 said...

Whoa, A blog about a number I've used in my internet nick since... 1997. :D
This is an interesting find. I also have 43's in my websites.... Like my www.box43.net